Monday, June 20, 2011

Making things from scratch that you usually just buy

My wife Sarah and I have been getting in to cooking, like many young married couples do. Lately we discovered making croutons and chips at home! We always have a little extra bread laying around, so croutons are a perfect use of starting-to-harden cracked wheat sour dough bread. That's Sarah's specialty...she cuts them up, adds olive oil and Italian spices, then broils them in the oven. They taste amazing...absolutely no comparison with store bought!



 We also were left with quite a few extra corn tortillas after a big fajita making housewarming party, and decided to come up with a use for them. I found some recipe's online, and realized it's pretty easy! Just chop up the tortillas (I use a pizza cutter), lay them flat on a cookie sheet, spray both sides with cooking spray, top off with some cayenne pepper, salt, and paprika, and cook 'em at 450 until their done! They seem healthier than most chips, and taste great! Plus, there's no bag of chips laying around the house to tempt you (I stopped buying chips about a year ago because I can't control myself). When you want them, you just make them!

No comments:

Post a Comment